FInd Your Music!

YOUR COMMUNITY MUSIC SCHOOL: OVER THIRTY-FIVE YEARS OF THE HIGHEST QUALITY MUSIC EDUCATION. FIND YOUR MUSIC!

Friday, February 22, 2013

Five questions with Krzysztof Jablonski

Live at the Port Theatre in solo piano recital - March 17th, 2013
NCM: You grew up in Poland while it remained part of the Eastern Bloc. What was it like for a young classical musician in that political climate? Did your travels abroad as a competitive concert pianist affect your view of your native country?

KJ: I hated that political climate with all my heart and soul. It was the most frustrating, devastating and limiting environment for young artists. No chance to travel, to meet people, to listen to great musicians, and zero contact with external world. I was 15-years old when I saw my first Western country: Italy. After that trip I hated my environment even more. From the other side, thanks to that system, I did not have to pay for my education and I was lucky to have fantastic teachers, especially my first teacher, Mrs. Janina Butor with whom I worked for 12 long years.

NCM: Please tell me about a particularly inspiring teacher you may have had as a teenager. Who was he or she, and what made them so good?

KJ: As I already mentioned, there would be no me, Jablonski, a pianist today, if I did not have a chance to be a pupil of Mrs. Janina Butor, who changed my life in every aspect. Not only she was my piano teacher, but she was like my mother, teaching me not only how to play piano, but how to become better person.

NCM: Are there any pianists you particularly admire, or seek to emulate? Do you recognize aspects of their playing in your own distinctive style?

KJ: I was taught to not to emulate anyone. My dream was always to develop my own musical language to the point where it will be recognizable. Of course I had my heroes, and they were Horowitz, Rubinstein, Benedetti-Michelangeli, Richter, Argerich, and Zimerman, to name just a few. Nowadays, I listen instead to string players, winds, singers, and way less to pianists. I need inspiration coming from the human voice, real "legato" between notes, and imagination that can make piano music less mechanical, less percussion-like.

NCM: Do you listen to music apart from classical, and if so, what is it?

KJ: Yes, I do listen to variety of music including some jazz, pop music, and even some songs by the Foo Fighters. It has to be intelligent and authentic and touch me in some way.

NCM: When you are not touring the world or teaching music, how do you like to spend your time?

KJ: Skiing, swimming, biking, gardening, and doing some home renovation work myself. Skiing has become my passion and I do ski whenever possible. Lake Louise is my favorite ski resort so far, but I can't wait to visit many more, as I do not know many of them. I started skiing as an adult, back in 2004 here in Canada, so it is too late to become an olympic champion, but I am working with ski instructors to continously take my skills every season to higher level. I also like reading books and watching movies, but above all, spending time with my family - my wife and my 7 year old daughter.

Catch Krzystof Jablonski LIVE at the Port Theatre in Nanaimo in solo piano recital!
March 17th 2:30pm    general: $25 / students $24    Call (250) 754 - 8550 for tickets
http://www.porttheatre.com/theatre-info/ticket-info